Intumescent Pillows provide up to 4 hours fire protection to cables and metal services passing through compartment fire walls and floors.The pillows are packed tightly around and in between services penetrating the fire wall or floor – in a floor the pillows can be supported by wire mesh. In the event of a fire, the Intumescent Pillows expand and form a seal around the services and cables.
- Simple to install
- Easy to remove and replace when adding services
- Requires no maintenance
- Suitable for metal pipework, cables and electrical trunking
Approximate pillow usage guide:
Sausage – 660 per metre square opening
Small – 330 per metre square opening
Medium – 220 per metre square opening
Large – 165 per metre square opening
Installation in Walls (Method 1)
- Push the first Intumescent Pillow into the hole to be filled, so that the longest dimension (300mm long) spans across the wall.
- For electrical trunking, remove the lid and install a pillow inside so it aligns with the depth of the wall. Replace the lid on the electrical trunking.
- Pack the hole tightly with more Intumescent Pillows until it is full
Installation in Walls (Method 2)
- Make a basket using galvanized steel mesh (50 x 50 squares x 2.5mm wire diameter) to sit into the hole in the floor slab. There should be a minimum 50mm overlap onto the surrounding floor slab or wall (see diagram on technical data sheet). Mechanically fix to top of floor slab or wall.
- Lay Intumescent Pillows standing on end into the wire basket. Pack the pillows tightly into the basket around the penetrating services.
- For electrical trunking, remove the lid and install a pillow inside so that it aligns with the depth of the floor. Replace the lid on the electrical trunking.
- Lay a sheet of the galvanized steel mesh over the basket and tie together using steel wire.